Rock Hill P&F
Rock Hill Printing and Finishing Plant
The building of the Rock Hill Printing and Finishing Plant in 1929 moved M. Lowenstein halfway along the way to
becoming a totally integrated producer of textiles. The Rock Hill plant bleached, dyed, printed and finished cloth
purchased from a variety of sources, primarily in the South.The rapid expansion of Lowenstein through the
acquisition of textile mills produced the raw material for the plant and resulted in its own expansion. By the early
1960s, it grew from a plant with 200,000 square feet to one with more than 2 million square feet, which
bleached, dyed, and finished both cotton and synthetic fabrics.
New processes such as Sanforizing and the
use of Scotchgard TM finishing permitted it to create permanent press cloth during the 1970s. Acquired by
Springs Industries in 1986, the plant included 23 roller print machines and 7 screen print machines.